Retail Department Manager: Leader Inside Store
Responsible for Hardgoods, Houseplants, Patios, Pottery, and Leader of Cashiers.
For 61 years, Watters Garden Center has cultivated its brand around fun, positivity, community, and giving back. The Watters team reaches far beyond the world of gardening to touch the lives of employees, customers, and our community. We pride ourselves on customer service, quality plants, creative displays, fun events and a healthy work culture. Our committed, passionate, and hardworking leaders guarantee a genuine horticultural experience.
The full-time position of Retail Department Manager: Leader Inside Store should be team oriented with the ability to connect with staff, great with customer relations, and able to connect with vendors. This is a leadership role that requires supervising of the cashiers to maximize profiency, increase sales, and that creates a focused, cohesive team that works well and efficiently together. This is also a salesperson able to watch inventory to maximize sales and increase turns while maintaining profit margins. Plant merchandizing is a key element to success while maintaining plants health in the displays. Computer experience is a must, with excellence in email attachments, embedding URLs, proficient in Excel, and spreadsheets from vendors. Responsible for standard operating procedurs (SOP) during open and closing of store operations 4-5 days a week, including weekends. Must be able to lift 50 pounds.
As a leader within the company, there is also an expectation that new ideas and strategies will be brought to the table to keep the company moving onward and upward. This role is challenging, exciting, and FUN. Though this position is a department manager, in this family-owned business we are all ONE TEAM that supports each other and strives to be great—together. The success of the entire company, not just your department, is our goal.
- Years (2+) of proven experience in at least one of these areas: garden center management or retail departmental management.
- Strong and proven communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects, customers, cash handling, events, and employees through a hands-on approach.
- Ability to train new team members, and build a high functioning team through strong leadership skills.
- Ability to confidently sell plant products all while aiding in the success of our customers
- Willing to make strategic and calculated decisions in buying, and create the sales, signage, and merchandising plans to move through the product.
- Maintains cleanliness and safety as a point of attention throughout the store
- Drives a sense of urgency and ownership within their department
- Creates the vision, oversight, and leadership of the department all while supporting the company’s mission statement and ownership’s vision.
- Ensures proper implementation and completion of operational systems and cash handling procedures.
- Understands cash handling procedures and loss prevention management
- Has a basic understanding of business profitability and what leads to good financial decisions
- Willing to work weekends and holidays
- Willing to operate a forklift
- Clear Driving record
- Must be available to work 4 to 5 days per week March, April, May, and half of June, and as business requires.
- Able to work in all-weather types and potentially the extremes; wet and cold, or hot and dry.
- Able to stand and walk on your feet for multiple hours at a time with minimal breaks.
- Able to comfortably lift 50 pounds repeatedly throughout the day.
- Competent with computers and technology-based devices; including, but not limited to Microsoft products
- Sense of humor
Link to Application